Oval French Oven 25cm
- 350g Skinless Pork Belly (half fat and lean), cleaned
- 4 tbsp, Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tbsp, Chinese ShaoXing Wine
- 1 tbsp, Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp, Five Spices
- ½ tsp, White Pepper
- 50ml Water or Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp Honey / Maltose (to be added after char siew is cooked)
- 3 cups, Glutinous Rice, soaked overnight
- 4 cloves, Garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece, Ginger, chopped
- 15g, Dried Shrimp, soaked and chopped
- 2 Chinese Sausages, sliced diagonally
- 8 Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, soaked & halved
- 3 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing Wine
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- ½ tsp Ground Pepper
- 300ml Water
- 1 stalk, Spring Onion, garnish
- 1. MARINADE: Mix all marinade ingredients (except Honey/Maltose) and marinate pork belly overnight in the fridge.
- 2. CHAR SIEW: Heat cooking oil in a Skillet and brown each side of the marinated pork for 5 mins. Simmer in low heat for 30 mins, flipping the pork every 10 mins. Once the exterior is caramelized/charred, coat the pork with 1 tbsp honey/maltose. Remove pork belly and set aside on a cooling rack.
- 3. GLUTINOUS RICE: In an Oval French Oven, sauté garlic, ginger, and dried shrimp with sesame oil until aromatic. Toss in Chinese sausage and Shiitake mushrooms. Stir fry and add seasonings to taste.
- 4. Mix soaked glutinous rice and the remaining Char Siew marinade. Add in water. Turn to low heat and put the lid on for 15 mins, stirring every 5 mins.
- 5. It is ready to be served when the rice grains appear firm but stick together when pressed. Place cut Char Siew on top and garnish with some spring onions.