Recommended Cooking Tool:
Square Skillet Grill 26cm
To Fry Blended Paste:
- 1 cup Cooking Oil
- 1-2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Palm Sugar
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce, to taste
- 1 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 5-6 whole Shallots
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 sliced Ginger
- 10g Galangal
- 3 Candlenuts (Buah Keras)
- 1 tbsp Dried Shrimp, soaked
- 2 stalks Lemongrass, chopped
- 8-10 Dried Chilies, soaked
- 3 Kaffir Lime Leaves, cut
- 2 Red Chilies, halves
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 whole Fish or 2-3 fish fillets
- 2-3 Banana Leaves
- 2 Kaffir Leaves, julienned
- 1 Calamansi or Lime, for serving
- 1. To Blend: Blend all ingredients in a food processor until it forms a smooth paste.
- 2. Fry Blended Sambal Paste: Bring the Skillet to medium heat with oil. Pour in blended sambal paste and cook until aromatic/darkened in colour. Season with sugar, lime juice, soy sauce and salt. Dish out the sambal paste.
- 3. Prepare Banana Leaves: Hold banana leaves with tongs and lightly pass over a gas burner in low heat. This helps to release fragrance and add flavour.
- 4. Fish: (Preheat oven 180°C; grill setting) Pat the fish dry and place it on top of the Skillet, layered with banana leaves. Spoon in sambal to cover fish evenly. Gently fold leaves on both sides and secure with toothpicks. Place into the oven and let it grill for 25-30 minutes*
- 5. To Serve: Garnish with julienned kaffir leaves and calamansi.
*Grilling time depends on the size of the fish.Tips:
Secure with toothpicks as per the example below: